It’s been far too long since I’ve used my Silhouette Cameo for anything. I decided to check out some designs that I purchased a while ago and that have just been sitting in my design library. I chose a beautiful sunflower design by Sarah Bailey (design #320672). Here’s what I came up with:
I started by cutting 3 of the outlines with some scrap brown card stock. Rather than dealing with individual petal cutouts, I just cut out a solid yellow piece to use as the background. For dimension, I glued all of the brown outline pieces together, and then I attached the yellow background piece.
To create the card background, I simply taped off a square portion (I just eyeballed it…no measuring here 🙂 Using a blending brush, I blended Distress Oxide Mermaid Lagoon. I wanted a bit of a fading effect, so I just applied the ink with a heavier hand at the top of the square. After the blending was done, I spritzed some water and blotted it off with a paper towel.
Before I adhered the sunflower to the card front, I decided that it looked a little dull. I blended some Distress Ink Ground Espresso to the center of the flower and added a bunch of dots with a black fine tip Sharpie. To give the petals more life, I just added some golden orange color pencil. Wink of Stella over the whole flower was the last touch. I attached the flower with foam tape.
The sentiment is from Taylored Expressions Simple Strips stamp & die set (This is one of the most clever sets I’ve seen in a long time), and it’s heat embossed onto black card stock. For balance, I added the corner frames with a fine line black marker and some Nuvo Drops in Bright Gold.
It’s been a pretty long time since I’ve made anything. Being safe at home has given me the opportunity to appreciate time spent with family, be it in person or through video. Card making has taken a back seat for too long, so I decided to pull out a new-to-me stamp set and get to work.
I started off by stamping a few of the flower and leaf images onto Bristol paper using Versafine Onyx Black ink and heat embossing with Recollections Ebony embossing powder. I hadn’t used my Zig Clean Color markers in a while, so I chose a few purple and green shades to use (082 and 080 for flowers and 053 and 044 for leaves) along with my waterbrush. Once the images were dry, I cut them out using the matching dies.
Now for card design…I’m never very good at following a plan. I usually just start putting things down and seeing what looks best to me. I’m also not very good at feeling comfortable with a lot of white space (something that I need to work on). I decided on using piece of Simon Says Stamp fog card stock for a foundation for my flower/leaves piece. To give it a bit of dimension, I dry embossed it using the Cuttlebug Checkered embossing folder. The sentiment I chose was from the Taylored Expessions Simple Strips set cut out using the matching die (if you haven’t seen these sets yet, you really need to check them out…brilliant design). I backed the strip with a piece of My Favorite Things Black & White Stripes paper.
I adhered the flower using foam tape, and thought I was done at that point. After finishing a card, I always walk away for a while. Usually, I come back and still like what I created. This time, it still looked a bit unbalanced. That’s when I added the small black strips on the diagonal corners. As soon as I placed them, I knew it was done.